Friday, March 2, 2012

Artsy Pants

For Family Home Evening this week, we took it upon ourselves to create a masterpiece for the blank wall in our living room. Ben has been wanting some kind of abstract art, and I have been wanting to melt crayons, as so many have been doing (according to pinterest). Being the great couple that we are, we found a compromise.

For those of you who would like to repeat this project (which is quite fun, even if you don't have a specific place you plan on hanging it), here is how we did it.

You will need: 1 canvas, 1 blow dryer, a hot glue gun, and as many crayons as necessary. We used up most of a box of 24 and a box of 64.

We decided to take the wrappers off of the crayons (some prefer to keep them on). The easiest way to do this is soak them in water.

Once they are all unwrapped, arrange them in the order you want the colors to be, and glue them to the canvas, with the bottoms along the top edge

The next part is the most fun. Prop the canvas up at an angle with the crayons at the top. Make sure to have newspapers laid on the floor so it's not too messy. Then, start blow drying.


It takes quite awhile--we were blow drying for about an hour. You can manipulate the direction and length of the flow of wax to get your desired look. 
We then flipped ours upside down and hung it on the wall, and this was the result:



2 comments:

  1. I like it! It has a very outdoorsy feel to me. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this. I have seen them on pinterest, but I think I like yours the best. I tried to convince Jared to make one with me, but he did not agree with melting perfectly good crayons. dang. I will just have to covet yours forever now.

    ReplyDelete