Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Growth

I'm going to share a little secret. Being a mother is hard. And a child's discovery of temper tantrums does not make it any easier. Try as I might not to encourage them, Henry still seems to find them effective. It's hard to find motherhood rewarding when your only companion for most of the day isn't being nice to you. I've really been discouraged lately.

Yesterday, though, Henry did two wonderful things that made up for all of the tantrums. Ben and I have been wanting to see Life of Pi, which is playing in the theater in our park, but I was a bit anxious about taking Henry. We went last night, and Henry was perfect. He sat in our laps the whole time, occasionally talking to the screen, but being extremely well behaved. Many people in the theater commented on it. It felt good to know that our son doesn't have to constantly be running around to be happy.

The second thing happened as we were getting him ready for bed. We knelt down on the floor for a prayer, like we do every night, and Ben said fold your arms. And guess what Henry did--he folded his arms! That made me so happy I could barely say the prayer. The thing about being a mom is day after day you try to teach your children things, but sometimes it seems like it's just not getting through. Seeing my son kneeling next to his dad, folding his arms for prayer, was one of the most rewarding things I've ever seen. It's good to know we're doing something right.

So Henry, thank you for helping me realize that I am not a bad mom.


3 comments:

  1. oh Megan, I'm going through the same thing right now. Going to school in the evenings has helped me though. I feel terrible, but i have to get away no matter how much i love my kids. i get to recharge, but those days when Todd is away (which is ALWAYS), makes those days with a tantruming toddler and a 3 month old really REALLY hard. But, there are those few moments or days that make it all worth it. it's like they know when we are getting worn out, so they think, "i should do something cute\funny right about now."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl I hear ya! Nathaniel pretty much just screams at me all day long. If I put him down, if I put him in the car seat, if I hold him facing this way, if I hold him facing that way... But then when he's all happy and smiley or actually rolls over during tummy time instead of screaming and eating the blanket, it makes me feel happy. And the thought of him growing out of this phase gives me hope! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally relate! Some days I don't even know why I try and then something like that will happen with the kids and I will remember why it is all worth it! Being a mom is the hardest job we will ever love. And Henry is too cute!

    ReplyDelete