Thursday, May 17, 2012

Nursing?

Henry flew again yesterday--though I never know how to count how many flights he's been on. He's been on two separate trips, one roundtrip and one only a one-way flight as of today. Each leg had a layover, so in total he has been on 6 separate planes.


He's not bad to fly with, but he gets quite antsy and the change in air pressure hurts his ears. Since he won't take a bottle or pacifier, I've realized that the only way to alleviate the pain is to nurse. At first I was too afraid of breastfeeding while in such close quarters with other people, who are often men. But after the flight last month, when he cried for almost an hour straight (which is a lot for him), I decided to go for it. Who cares if other people are slightly uncomfortable, right? I'm completely covered and it keeps him from screaming. Plus, women bare more by wearing low cut tops all the time.

I think there are definitely times when nursing in public is not appropriate (like in church--just go to the mother's room, they have comfy chairs). But sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. After all, breastfeeding mothers have rights. So I've made a list of some of the places I've nursed.
  • Detroit Tigers baseball game
  • 3 separate airplanes
  • Corner booth in a Cheesecake Factory (I was desparate and hidden from view)
  • Starbuck's bathroom
  • Kansas City and O'hare airport bathrooms
  • Bathroom at Greenfield Village
  • Deserted eating area at Greenfield Village
  • Detroit Institute of Arts bathroom
  • Car (many locations, both front seat and back seat)
  • Holland Tulip Time Festival

2 comments:

  1. Twice while working at a restaurant I had women nursing their babies at the table, with no cover at all. Just flopped out right on the table while I'm trying to take orders. Very awkward. If they had even just a small cover, it would not have been weird at all for me. Nursing in public is totally acceptable. I just wouldn't want to flopping around in front of strangers with no cover. I'm glad you use covers! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. Nursing on planes is so hard, especially if you don't have the window seat. I think I would die if Reagan didn't take a bottle. Weirdest place I've ever nursed? In the middle of a hike, next to the path.

    ReplyDelete