Thursday, February 16, 2012

Riverwalking

Living in Detroit has its advantages as well as its disadvantages. There aren't decent grocery stores nearby and it's not very walkable. But there are some pretty sweet activities and restaurants, and the Eastern Market is only the best farmer's market this side of anywhere.

Having just had a baby, in the middle of winter, I've found it important to make sure I get out of the house every so often. However, it's been hard to do this without driving for 20 minutes to find a place where I'm comfortable walking around. Then, this past week, I found a little gem tucked away minutes from our apartment.


The Detroit Riverwalk. Right on the Detroit River (go figure), so the whole time you get a nice view of Canada and downtown Detroit. It's surprisingly safe too--there are those "Emergency button" stations every few yards and I even saw a patrol car driving around. Walking with just my baby, I felt perfectly safe and actually quite comfortable. Finally, a pleasant place to spend time outside.

Unfortunately, the day after I discovered the Riverwalk, the temperature dropped far below freezing. But I highly suggest taking a stroll on this bad boy any day the weather will allow.


No comments:

Post a Comment