Friday, February 24, 2012

Polar Plunge

Last weekend, some of Ben's coworkers participated in a fund raising activity called the Polar Plunge.

Somehow, I haven't figured out quite how, jumping in freezing water makes people want to give you money.  Dozens, if not hundreds, of people jumped into Detroit River on Saturday morning. Ice had to be chipped away, paramedics were on standby, and a few fully equipped scuba divers were poised and ready to jump in.

Now, I know people do this all the time. And most people do it for free and without any real supervision. Even Ben has done it. I guess it's my distaste for cold combined with my fear of water that makes me say, "no thanks."


We did have fun watching though. The event was just down the street from our house, so we walked there and supported KPMG and all the other cold water enthusiasts. There is something satisfying about watching people shiver uncontrollably from the comfort of a dry, downy coat with faux fur lining. Similar to eating junk food and lounging on the couch while watching a sporting event.



1 comment:

  1. Why would anyone ever want to do that?!?! I feel like my heart would stop. And I would die.

    ReplyDelete