Monday, November 3, 2014

Oh yeah, I have a blog

Alas, I have been remiss. I thought I would be motivated and organized enough after having two children that I would keep up with writing. But when I comes down to it, and I have to choose between a nap or writing a blog, I choose nap. And then 30 seconds later one of the kids wakes up.

There's something about that second kid that doesn't just double the amount of time parenting takes--it increases exponentially. I don't know how they do it. I swore I would align their schedules perfectly, to have nap times line up so that I could still have my 2-3 hours of alone time every day. Oh ho ho, silly woman. As soon as I got confident that that would work out, Child #1 decided to forgo naps completely. That's what I get for thinking I could have control over my children.



I don't know what most people's houses look like on a daily basis, but mine is in a constant state of not-quite-clean. Bordering on messy, depending on the day. On any given day I think, I'll do some dishes, put away some laundry, organize the linen closet and rake the leaves. Then bedtime rolls around, and I have rinsed a few dishes and spent a total of four hours trying to put kids to sleep. And that's a productive day.


I'm afraid our house has gotten even worse over the past few days, due to a wave of sickness that has taken the whole family. It started with Henry, who had a cough and what appeared to be pink eye. Despite every precaution, I lost my voice soon after and Eleanor and I have both contracted pink eye as well. Because no matter how much you tell a 2 year old not to, he will cough in your face and wipe his hands all over you. Ben started to feel under the weather too, so we went in to urgent care on Saturday where the doctor told us that we likely have strep throat. In addition to pink eye and the ear infection she found in Henry. So we have quarantined ourselves in our home with lots of meds.


Personally, I think if you're going to be sick, it's best to make it a family event. Then you get to lay around together and watch movies and try to out-cough each other. Henry seems to be feeling a lot better (because he's the lucky one who gets to eat the yummy pink amoxicillin suspension), and he has been showing more interest in taking care of Nora. Yesterday I looked up from making dinner to find Henry spoon feeding Nora rice cereal. I am amazed at how much he loves her. He is always concerned with her well-being, and he likes to make her smile, especially if she is upset. He hands her toys, sings to her and gets so excited when she wakes up. Really, giddy. I hope one day she realizes how lucky she is to have such a wonderful big brother.

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya! I just barely got a post done today. I thought I would have some time for blogging, but having two kids is crazy!!

    ReplyDelete