Friday, April 25, 2014

Our Nora Jane


She finally came! And it was an absolute miracle. My doctor and I agreed on my due date that since I wasn't progressing, we would schedule a c-section for Monday April 21. If she came on her own before then, great. If not, surgery.

So Monday morning we were packing to go to the hospital and I started having some pretty uncomfortable contractions. I ignored them though, because I figured it was just because I was dehydrated (I had to start fasting at midnight) and running all over the house.  Plus I didn't want to get my hopes up. By the time we got to the hospital at 10, I was having trouble walking when the contractions hit. So I mentioned to the nurses what was happening and they said they'd have my doctor check me. Sure enough, I was in labor! My doctor asked if I wanted to give it a try and Ben and I both said YES. 

12 hours later, I gave birth to Eleanor Jane Fisher, all on my own! It was the most amazing thing, to be so involved in the process instead of motionless in an operating room.



It was so different this time; Ben got to cut the cord and I got to hold the baby right away. It was exactly what we wanted. And my epidural was awesome. It saved me so much pain and made it easier for me to be mentally present and aware.



Eleanor was so tiny--only 8 lbs 2 oz.  All the nurses commented on what a big baby she was, and I kept thinking, are you kidding me, she's so tiny! Almost 2 1/2 pounds smaller than her brother. I still feel like I might break her. She's so wonderful, and I can't believe she came the way she did. She's such a sweet little person.


Henry is fascinated by Nora. He likes to watch her and tickle her feet and share his food with her and rock her when she is in her car seat. It's pretty sweet. Henry seems so big and advanced now.



It's definitely going to be an adjustment, having two kids. Thank goodness my mom is here to help with the house and the kids. And I just love saying that--my kids. The plurality feels so grown up.

3 comments:

  1. Yay for Nora being so cooperative! She's a doll. And this is totally irrelevant, but your skin looks amazing! Mine is like a zit farm lately. Maybe by the end of my pregnancy my skin will look like yours.

    Also, Henry looks soooo sweet with her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! Pregnancy is the most amazing thing to happen to my complexion. It's great, I hope it doesn't end...

      Delete
  2. That photo of Henry leaning on his hand, smiling at Nora, is adorable. I'm so glad she came here safely and that you didn't have to do surgery! I'm excited to meet her in person.

    ReplyDelete