Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Great Expressions

Ben started a new job this week. It's one that kind of came out of nowhere for us, but seems like a really good opportunity. Ben wasn't looking for a new job when a recruiter contacted him about a position with Great Expressions, a company that acquires and runs dental practices, but we decided to go ahead and apply and see what they said/offered. Let's face it, it feels pretty good to know people want you.

Sure enough, in mid-December he was offered a position. It's a good step up for Ben--he's an executive now and he identifies and buys dental practices. Which is about as close to following in his dad's professional (dentist) footsteps as I think Ben will get. He is having to adjust to a smaller company, without the perks and budget of a top four accounting firm. To me that just means no more tickets to fancy events with VIP treatment.

This job seems like a great blessing for many reasons, one of which is that it is more in line with what Ben would like to do. Plus it brings us one step closer to our dream of owning an orchard. Not to mention the biggest bonus for me--since it's in Bloomfield Hills (about five minutes from our temple), if we decide to stay here long term there's a good possibility of moving further out of the city. I have wanted to move up to that area since we came to Michigan, but we didn't like the idea of an hour-long commute.

I personally am very proud of Ben for getting this job. Just over 2 years ago he was fresh out of college and had no idea what he was doing at a new job. He has gotten so many compliments from both KPMG and Great Expressions about how skilled he is now. Sometimes, just briefly, I take for granted how impressive and hard of a worker he is. So to make up for that, I have an abbreviated list of reasons why Ben is great.


  • He loves everyone, and people always seem to like him right away too (which is good, because people and I do not have that same relationship).
  • He likes to shop. I mean, he doesn't just put up with it, but he really enjoys it, especially with me.
  • Whenever I mention something that I want to do, he encourages me to do it and researches it himself. Not to do one day, but to do now. Even if it's something crazy like take chocolate making classes or go back to grad school.
  • He would be the one to be pregnant in a heartbeat. Not just to ease my discomfort, but mostly because he would like to experience it too.
  • He likes to bring me little treats from work, like popcorn or hot chocolate or a candy bar someone gave him.
  • He cannot take a compliment. Whenever I tell him he's handsome, his response is to contort his face.
  • He's an amazing dad. I would be jealous of Henry if I didn't have such a great one myself. The two of them spend most of their time together giggling, and I never know what I'm going to walk in on. For example, one night Ben was supposed to be getting Henry ready for bed, but instead what I saw when I came into Henry's room was Ben holding Henry by the ankles while Henry was going head first through his basketball hoop.
  • I can see very clearly how he makes me a better person. I don't know how he does it, but he improves me and makes me want to be better. Or at the very least want to want to be better....

2 comments:

  1. I concur with these. As a second witness, I also say he is handsome (especially when he contorts his face). My roommates have also said as much, even going so far as to say I have a biased perspective of the relative attractiveness of redheads since (according to them), my brothers are attractive redheads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This inspires me. I should say more good things about Jesse. Not that I go around saying bad things about him, but I tend to only share funny anecdotes about him.
    Good luck with the new job! Exciting!

    ReplyDelete